Thanksgiving is almost upon us and is a great reminder to practice gratitude for all the wonderful things in our lives. Feeling gratitude is not only a nice thing to do, but studies show that it can improve our health, reduces feelings of depression, anxiety and sleep disorders, it improves our relationships, and increases feelings of happiness and well-being. A pretty powerful tool by any standard.
So what is the best way to practice gratitude?
The best and most simple way to practice gratitude is to make a list of all the things you’re thankful for. Doing this on a daily basis keeps you in the gratitude mindset and helps you continue to reap all the benefits of feeling gratitude.
When my daughter was growing up, we used to each keep gratitude journals and write in them together on Sunday nights. Sometimes we would trade journals and write things we were thankful for about each other. I still have my gratitude journal and her notes to me still put a smile on my face.
Adding a gratitude practice to your daily routine will dramatically change your life and your perspective, after only a few days.
Here are 21 of the best gratitude quotes to get you started:
1. “Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.” ~ Maya Angelou
2. “Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.” ~ A.A. Milne, from Winnie-the-Pooh
3. “Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
4. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
5. “Gratitude opens the door to…the power, the wisdom, the creativity of the Universe. You open the door through gratitude.” ~Deepak Chopra
6. “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” ~ Cicero
7. “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” ~ Marcel Proust
8. “Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” ~ John F. Kennedy
10. “I don’t have to chase extraordinary moments to find happiness – it’s right in front of me if I’m paying attention and practicing gratitude.” ~ Brene Brown
11. “Grace isn’t a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It’s a way to live.” ~ Jacqueline Winspear
12. “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” ~ William Arthur Ward
13. “When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears.” ~ Tony Robbins
14. “Trade your expectations for gratitude and the world changes instantly.” ~ Tony Robbins
15. “The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated.” ~ WIlliam James
16. “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” ~ Epictetus
17. “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” ~ G.K. Chesterton
18. “Gratitude is an opener of locked-up blessings.” ~ Marianne Williamson
19. “Gratitude is heaven itself.” ~ William Blake
20. “Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you’ll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it.” ~Ralph Marston
21. “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” ~ Robert Brault
What is your favorite gratitude quote? How do you practice gratitude? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below – I am thankful for all of my readers and your wonderful thoughts! Thank you!