I love to visit the beautiful lavender farms around Portland. Lavender is also my favorite essential oil for relaxation and for its wide range of uses. I use lavender every day as my perfume, just a drop behind each ear and it is my favorite oil to diffuse in my home. Sometimes I add a few drops of lemon oil with it for a fresh, clean scent. Lavender oil has been called the “Swiss army knife” of oils because it is so versatile. Here are 25 ways that you can begin using lavender essential oil too.
25 Ways to Use Lavender Essential Oil
- Calming: Put a few drops on your feet to calm and relax your body
- Rash Relief: To soothe a rash, lightly rub 2-3 drops into the skin
- Headache Relief: Put a drop on each temple to help relieve a headache
- Sleep: Put 2-3 drops on the bottom of each foot to help you sleep
- Bug Bites: Rub 2-3 drops onto a bug bite to relieve itch and discomfort
- Motion Sickness: Put 2 drops on the end of your tongue and behind your ears to combat motion sickness
- Deodorant: Put 2 drops under each armpit to use as a natural deodorant
- Cold Sores: Apply a few drops to a cold sore to help it heal faster
With Oil (Mix 5-10 Drops with a Carrier Oil)
- Massage: Mix into your favorite massage oil for a relaxing massage
- Eczema and Dermatitis: Rub into the skin of affected area
- Chapped Lips: Rub onto lips
- Dandruff: Rub directly onto scalp or add a few drops to your shampoo
- Allergies: Rub on chest and back to reduce allergy symptoms
Spray (In a Glass Spray Bottle, Mix 5-10 Drops with Distilled Water)
- Room Spray: Spritz into your room for a relaxing room spray
- Sheet Spray: Spritz onto your pillow at bedtime or use as a sheet spray
- Sunburn: Spray onto a sunburn for quick relief
- Mix 3-5 drops on your sponge with 1 tbsp. baking soda to clean your sinks and counters
- Mix 15-20 drops into a small bucket of water for mopping or wiping down surfaces
- Bath: Mix with 1 Cup of Epsom Salts
- Cotton Ball: Put a few drops on a cotton ball, use to freshen up your drawers or linen closet
- Diffuse: Diffuse into the air to freshen, create a relaxing space, and kill mold and bacteria
- Inhale: Place 2-3 drops on your palm. Place over your nose to inhale for relaxation.
- Laundry: Place 2-3 drops on a cotton cloth and put in your dryer for fresh smelling clothes.
- Beverages: Add 2 drops to lemonade, ice tea, or cocktails to add a touch of lavender taste
- Lashes: Add one drop to your mascara tube to help your lashes grow long and lush
Now it’s your turn: How do you use essential oil? What is your favorite use? Share your thoughts below.