25 Ways You Are Poisoning Yourself Before Breakfast
Have you ever stopped to think about all of the chemicals we use on a daily basis? Chemical additives are in the air fresheners we breathe, the beauty and cleaning products we use, and in the perfumes and colognes we spray. Not to mention the chemicals in the food we eat. While these chemicals might be considered harmless in small amounts, what is the impact of these chemicals when they’re mixed together? And how does exposure to these chemicals day after day, year after year affect our bodies and our health?
We know that many chemicals are associated with negative health effects. This is why there’s a growing movement back to more natural food and products. At my house, we began the switch many years ago by buying organic and non-GMO foods whenever possible, buying natural health and beauty products or making our own, and using essential oils.
Which of these products do you use in your household? Check the list below to see the known chemicals and negative side effects associated with those chemicals.
|Product||Known Chemicals (See list below for known negative side effects)|
|1. Air Freshener||1,4,7,8|
|2. Bath Soap||3,4..5..6..7..8|
|5. Skin Lotion||1,3,4,5,6,7,8|
|6. Shaving Cream||3,4,8|
|8. Rash/Acne Cream||1,3,4,5,6,7,8|
|13. Hair Spray||4,7|
|17. Sanitary Napkins||4,7|
|19. Facial Cleanser||3,4,8|
|20. Nail Polish||4,5,7,8|
|21. Mattress & Pillow||4,7|
|23. Fabric Softener||3,4,5,7|
|24. Chlorine Bleach||1,2|
|25. Dry Cleaning||1,7|
Here are just a few of these chemicals and the negative health effects that have been associated with them:
- Alcohols: Acid & Alkali: rashes, muscle weakness, headaches, dizziness, nerve damage, vision problems, sleeping problems, stomach cramps, disorientation, depression, coughing, respiratory problems, anemia, organ damage, fatigue, heart damage, cancer, death.
- Chlorines: headaches, mental function difficulties, pulmonary edemas and heart disease, anemia, diabetes, gastrointestinal and urinary tract cancer, organ and gland cancer, severe eye problems, immune system breakdown, and more.
- Detergents/Emulsifiers: strip skin of protective oils, skin irritation, scalp eruptions, interference with nutrient absorption, hair loss, allergic reaction, cataract formation, organ damage, reproductive damage, blindness, cancer.
- Synthetic Fragrance & Dyes: allergic reactions, skin rashes, stomach upsets, muscular aches and pains, violent coughing and sneezing, irritability, vertigo, hyperactivity, convulsions, emotional and behavioral problems, Leukemia, Hodgkin’s, ADD, multiple tumors, reproductive damage, headaches, dizziness, organ damage, depression, cancer.
- Heavy Metals: Abdominal cramps, nausea, muscle weakness, mouth sores; muscle, joint, and bone pain; cancer, motor difficulties, immune disorders.
- Pesticides & Fungicides: Flu-like symptoms (fatigue, muscle and joint pain), stomach cramps, nervous system disorders, insomnia, memory loss, swelling of body parts, dizziness, genetic mutations, birth defects, gland tumors, organ damage, cancers, death.
- Petrochemicals: inhibit skin functions, pimples, rashes, splitting nails, sensitivity to sun, headaches, premature aging, allergic reactions, depression, fatigue, intestinal gas, asthma, respiratory failure, and immune system disorders.
- Preservatives (synthetic): headaches, skin rashes, eye damage, asthma, respiratory problems, tumors, cancer, digestive problems, mental confusion, organ damage, muscle weakness & cramps, loss of motor control, joint pain, reproductive damage, etc.
Source: The Politics of Poison by Nina G. Silver, Ph.D., 2000.
Download the Printable Version of: 25 Ways You Are Poisoning Yourself Before Breakfast
Can you begin to decrease the number of chemicals you use each day in your beauty and home cleaning products? Share your suggestions below and also check back to www.LifeOhm.com for recipes, tips, and tricks to help you live a healthier chemical-free lifestyle. You can also join my free Facebook group: Chemical Free 2017.