The new year is a time of renewal and new beginnings. Many of you are embarking on new goals and resolutions or just trying to bring a new outlook to life. Every day is the opportunity for a beautiful new beginning and today is a great day to start. Need some inspiration? Here are 30 of my favorite quotes to get you started:
1. “There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth… not going all the way, and not starting.” ~Buddha
2. “Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” ~ Carl Bard
3. “The beginning is the most important part of the work.” ~ Plato
4. “Every man should be born again on the first day of January. Start with a fresh page.” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
5. “A time comes when you need to stop waiting for the man you want to become and start being the man you want to be.” ~ Bruce Springsteen
6. “Life is not a dress rehearsal. Stop practicing what you’re going to do and just go do it. In one bold stroke you can transform today.” ~ Marilyn Grey
7. “The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret to getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks and then starting on the first one.” ~ Mark Twain
8. “What is not started today is never finished tomorrow.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
9. “Nothing is predestined. The obstacles of your past can become the gateways that lead to new beginnings.” ~ Ralph Blum
10. “Begin today. Declare out loud to the universe that you are willing to let go of struggle and eager to learn through joy.” ~ Sarah Ban Breathnach
11. “No, this is not the beginning of a new chapter in my life; this is the beginning of a new book! That first book is already closed, ended, and tossed into the seas; this new book is newly opened, has just begun! Look, it is the first page! And it is a beautiful one!” ~ C. JoyBell C.
12. “Do not wait until the conditions are perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect.” ~ Alan Cohen
13. “I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning.” ~ J. B. Priestly
14. “Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” ~ Saint Francis of Assisi
15. “The secret to living the life of your dreams is to start living the life of your dreams today, in every little way you possibly can.” ~ Mike Dooley
16. “This is a new year. A new beginning. And things will change.” ~ Taylor Swift
17. “The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.” ~ Steve Jobs
18. “Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning.” ~Desmond Tutu
19. “You don’t need endless time and perfect conditions. Do it now. Do it today. Do it for twenty minutes and watch your heart start beating.” ~ Barbara Sher
20. “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt
21. “We must always change, renew, rejuvenate ourselves, otherwise we harden.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
22. “Nourish beginnings, let us nourish beginnings. Not all things are blest, but the seeds of all things are blest. The blessing is in the seed.” ~ Muriel Rukeyser
23. “When I face the desolate impossibility of writing 500 pages, a sick sense of failure falls on me, and I know I can never do it. Then gradually, I write one page and then another. One day’s work is all that I can permit myself to contemplate.” ~ John Steinbeck
24. “You will never win if you never begin.” ~ Helen Rowland
25. “Genuine beginnings begin within us, even when they are brought to our attention by external opportunities.” ~William Throsby Bridges
26. “Every contrivance of man, every tool, every instrument, every utensil, every article designed for use, of each and every kind, evolved from a very simple beginnings.” ~Robert Collier
27. “Whatever you do or dream you can do – begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
28. “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
29. “Good seasons start with good beginnings.” ~ Sparky Anderson
30. “I think there is something more important than believing: Action! The world is full of dreamers. There aren’t enough who will move ahead and begin to take concrete steps to actualize their vision.” ~ W. Clement Stone
What is your favorite quote or saying about new beginnings? Share your thoughts below, I’d love to hear from you!
PJ Zafra says
What a great post! I can’t say I have a favorite quote out of the 30 you shared but I always lived by this one: “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
Thank you very much for sharing this! Keep it up! 🙂
Hi PJ – I love that quote too! Thank you for visiting my blog and Happy New Year!
Thea Westra says
“The chief beauty about time is that you cannot waste it in advance. The next year, the next day, the next hour are lying ready for you, as perfect, as unspoiled, as if you had never wasted or misapplied a single moment in all your life. You can turn over a new leaf every hour if you choose.” -Arnold Bennett <3
Great quote Thea, thanks for sharing this one. I haven’t see it before. I love this concept – you cannot waste time in advance. Time is ready, perfect and unspoiled 🙂 Thanks again!
Thea Westra says
Thanks Monica. 🙂 Have a top week.
Samantha Lee-Wiraatmaja says
Thanks for sharing these words of inspiration!
Thank you Samantha. Hope you have a wonderful New Year!
Dionne Dean says
Gonna post a few of these on my fridge! Happy New Year!!
Great idea Dionne! Happy New Year and thank you for visiting my blog!
Clancy Harrison says
I love this post. I am always looking for quotes to use with my clients! Thanks so much and happy new year.
Thank you so much Clancy, Happy New Year!
Eliz Frank says
The New Year is a great time to take stock and begin afresh. I’m excited about 2015 and I wish you much joy! 🙂
Lisa Rios says
These are amazing & wonderful Quotes. And more than that, they are very inspiring too. “Good seasons start with good beginnings” is my favorite, simple & inspiring.
Some wonderful words, thank you. I love the opening one – to live a rich life……
Another of my favorite quotes about new beginnings is ‘to get something you have never had, you have to do something you never did”.
Thanks Simon – I love that one too! So nice to see you on my blog, please come back soon! ~Monica
I like these sayings. I think they help. life has many rules, but it’s make believe and all thats real is how you feel, and you should do what makes you happy. Know what you want and its always possible