Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts obtained by careful steam distillation, cold pressing, or resin tapping. Pure essential oils are far more powerful than the botanicals from which they are extracted. This makes them powerful allies in your family’s health and wellness, as well as a natural ingredient for your cleaning and self-care products.
I discovered essential oils in 2008 when a friend of mine had me try a few drops of Peppermint Oil to calm my allergies at an event. She had me put a little under my tongue. I felt immediate relief and knew I wanted to learn more.
Since then, essential oils and essential oil products have become a staple in our household. Over the years, we have moved to mostly organic food and away from toxic cleaning products and chemicals. Essential Oils have been a great and natural replacement.
The five oils that are staples in our home and in many others are listed below, along with their common uses.
1. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender has been called the “Swiss Army knife” of essential oils because it is so versatile. Some of my favorite uses include:
- Using it in a diffuser or in a spray bottle mixed with distilled water
- One wool dryer balls as a natural fabric freshener in the dryer
- In my bath with epsom salts for a relaxing before bedtime ritual
- For my pets when they feel stressed or have skin ailments
- As a relaxing sheet spray
- As a perfume replacement
Here is a list of 25 Ways to Use Lavender Oil if you’d like to learn more about this amazing oil.
2. Thieves Essential Oil
Thieve oil is one of the most popular YoungLiving blends and for good reason. It provides powerful wellness support and is also excellent for cleaning. Thieves gets its name from oils that were used by thieves in the 16th century. The ancient thieves covered themselves in the oils from this blend to keep from getting the Black Plague from the graves they robbed. The thieves were captured and the King made them disclose how they managed to stay healthy. They were forced to give up their secret protective essential oils.
Thieves is a powerful combination of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential powerful combination of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils for an aromatic blend that fills any space with a rich, spicy aroma. for an aromatic blend that fills any space with a rich, spicy aroma.
My favorite uses of Thieves include:
- Using it in a diffuser, especially during cold and flu season
- Using Thieves home cleaners, toothpaste, and mouthwash (Love them <3)
- Putting a drop on the bottom of my feet when I fly or am around people with a cold or flu
- In my laundry for tough stains
3. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon has a fresh clean scent. Some of my favorite uses include:
- Putting a drop in my glass of water (do not use plastic)
- For cooking (to ingest, only use food-grade essential oils such as YoungLiving)
- In my diffuser to create a clean scent in any room
- In my cleaners
4. Peppermint Essential Oil
I love Peppermint Oil so much that I have multiple bottles of it around my home and office, and also in my purse. I never want to be without it because it is helpful in so many ways. Some of my favorite uses include:
- Putting a drop under my tongue to soothe and open my sinuses, especially when I’m having allergy problems
- Putting a few drops on the back of my neck to help increase my energy and alertness during a long day at the office
- Putting a drop in my glass of water for a tummy ache
- For cooking and baking (to ingest, only use food-grade essential oils such as YoungLiving)
5. Valor Essential Oil
The fifth oil in my list may be up for debate by essential oil gurus but Valor is a must-have for me. Valor essential oil blend helps promote feelings of courage, confidence, and self- esteem. It combines the balancing properties of spruce, rosewood, blue tansy, and frankincense essential oils, this blend aids in visualizing and attaining self empowerment.
Valor is my go-to oil for:
- Days when I’m feeling stressed, I’ll put a few drops on the sides of my neck and also on my hand so I can breathe in the relaxing scent
- Before big presentations or public speaking events
These oils can be purchased individually and are all also part of the YoungLiving starter kit. Contact me to learn more and how you can also get free gifts!
There are a wide-range of uses for each essential oil and everyone has their own favorites. The Essential Oils Desk Reference is a great tool for learning more about individual oils.
Learn More About Essential Oils
Essential Oils and Why YoungLiving
Shop From My YoungLiving Product Page
Pam Lassila says
I think essential oils are so cool. One of my friend’s is really into them and I don’t understand them completely but they seem to work well and smell so nice. There’s something about their scent that is just very calming and relaxing.
Hi Pam, thank you so much. It’s nice to have you on my page and I appreciate your comment <3. I agree, they can be very calming and relaxing. If you'd like to learn more, please feel free to attend one of my free classes. I have both live classes and will have some online classes coming up soon.